Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

365 Days - 532 Movies

At the beginning of last year I was without a job, without a car, without a girlfriend, and practically without money (and, uh, still am on all counts). I needed something to do. A goal to work for. A quest. Seeing as my life couldn't be much more pathetic sounding, I decided that the best thing to do would be something that would require almost no effort whatsoever: watch 500 movies in one year. That is, 500 movies I haven't seen so repeated viewings could not count toward that number. In the end, I overshot that number by a few but who's counting?

Oh yeah. I am.

So let's begin with a few statistics for you nerds people who like that kind of thing...
Total # of films: 532
Total watch time: ~875 hours or 36 days
Most films watched in one day: 6
Most films watched in one month: 80
Shortest film: Easy Street - 20min.
Longest film: Hamlet - 4hrs 2min
Most watched decade: 2000s - 129
Most watched country: US - 289
Most watched director: Alfred Hitchcock - 14

Now why in the hell would anyone in their right mind (assuming I am in my right mind) spend over a month in front of a screen watching movies?

Firstly, I got to catch up on movies that I had long been neglecting. Movies that you know you ought to watch but always think "Oh, I'll see that one later. It's been around long enough, it'll still be there when I get around to it." Movies that are either too long for casual viewing or just because I've never made enough effort. Movies like Spartacus, Road to Perdition, Fanny & AlexanderThe Great Escape, and Blade Runner.

Secondly, in order to rack up numbers, I had to dive into the obscure and the foreign. I watched films that I probably would never have given a second thought to like The Headless Woman, Kilometre 31, The Sword of Doom, and The Magic Flute. I definitely watched more foreign films this year than any other and from all over the place. Germany, South Korea, Spain, the Soviet Union, Australia, France, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Japan, Thailand, Sweden, Denmark, and even Canada. It's like world travel if you hate the actual travel part. Kind of.

Thirdly, because why the hell not? I love the art of film so any excuse to see more movies is a good one. It's just what I do. I can't and don't want to imagine a world where I'm not watching movies anymore. I'll be doing it 'til the day I die. Chances are good that I actually will die while watching a movie. That would be a bummer actually. It would mean that I never got to finish it. Um... Anyway, let's move on.

So what did I learn from all this?

Never to do it again. Yes, I love film but there's probably a more effective way of spending my time. As soon as I figure out what it is, I'll let you know. For now, I continue to engage in my favorite pastime.

If only there was a way to watch movies off into the sunset...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the lesson you learned was a regret?

I think watching 532 movies was definitely way ridiculous, and luckily, you manage to pull off some wisdom from your actions. Though it must have been fun watching those movies, what exactly did you learn from each of them so that you can apply that to your film making career? How did it edify you as a Christian? And if many films didn't edify you, why did you need to expose yourself to bad films with bad content in an act of self-deprecation? What made you feel accomplished watching that many movies in a year and what was the reason you had to share your experiences?

These aren't merely rhetorical, though I'll admit at first glance that's all they sound like. But I'm asking for sincere answers.

David H said...

Well, "Anonymous", that last paragraph was mostly facetious and if you know me, you know that I am wont to be so (especially in my final paragraphs). I don't regret doing what I did but it did take more work than I initially figured it would so I'm not eager to repeat it to such a strict degree. If it just happens that I see 500 more movies this year, then fine but it's not a stated, conscious goal.

There's so much that I've learned from the movies I've watched that it would be difficult to be specific. What works and what doesn't work in a movie is about as general as I can be. I've seen brilliant cinematography, perfect use of music, expertly choreographed fight scenes, intense performances, nail-biting suspense, and fantastic dialogue. All of this and more serve as influences.

I'm not going to answer the edification question because I think it's silly.

As for the accomplishment, do you play Xbox? It was kind of like unlocking an achievement. And what's the fun in that if you can't brag to your friends about it?